The Becoming God

Sunday, April 03, 2016

The Three Faces of God in Exodus 3: 6 Give New Meaning (the Old Meaning?) to Exodus 3: 14

I have hashed over Exodus 3: 14 many times and always come up with a new way of rendering it. The original Aramaic was "Ahiyeh Ashur hiyeh," according to Alexander's Exodus (see http://www.v-a.com/bible/supporters/exodus.html).

In 'Ahiyeh,' the speaker is saying that it is absolutely himself that is coming.

'Ashur' is a bugaboo -- it is the name of the Creator God of the ancient Assyrians/Ninevites from whom the Hebrews came. I read it as the Ineffable's imagination, the Divine consciousness/intelligence that has the power to become what it imagines.

'Hiyeh' is a super bugaboo -- it is third person singular. Exodus 3: 14 CANNOT (!) be translated "I AM THAT I AM" because the second I AM is, literally, "His becoming." His? His who?

God has just revealed himself in verse 3: 6 to be the Trinity, the Tri-une God of three "faces": the face that is the God of Abraham, the face that is the God of Isaac, and the face that is the God of Jacob. God is talking about his own manifesting, the mechanism of his emanation. It is all imagination. Imagination on a grand scale, but imagination nevertheless. The God with whom we have to do is the imagination of the Ineffable. He is the Eil, the Almighty (Genesis 17: 1), whose mighty action of imagining, Ashur, creates the world. And he says to Moses,

"I AM HIS MANIFESTATION," or

"I AM IMAGINATION, ITS (THE INEFFABLE'S) MANIFESTING AS THE THREE 'FACES' OF GOD."

The imagination of the Ineffable is as close as we can get to the Big Guy. It is Its very manifestation, Its emanation IN THE PROCESS OF BECOMING.


Works for me (not like I have a choice).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home