The Becoming God

Saturday, November 06, 2021

'Israel', I Believe, Means "Eil The Prevailer," Or, If You Would, That WE ARE GOD ACTING IF WE FIND THE MODE

I have been corrected. I hope you will be, too. E.W. Bullinger is not always an east read. I misread his note on Genesis 32:28 in The Companion Bible. One would have to admit that it is most confusing. Not that that is an excuse for me; I brought my own ideas and confusion into what Ethelbert said, which see (pg. 59/83 of Genesis pdf). Bullinger says in the note that Jacob had FAILED, and the lesson for us is that God commands, orders, or rules. Much like Nebuchadnezzar's seven years as an animal. I cannot be blamed for failing to get my head around that conclusion, when in Genesis 32:28 God says to him who had been Jacob, "For as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed" (KJV).

Alexander has it: "He said to him, "Your name will not be Jacob anymore, but Israel, because you proved yourself against the angel and against the man, and you were found to be capable."* (Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "He told him, your name will not be called again Jacob, except Israel, because you have been validated with the angel and with man, and you could strength)". It is significant that "as a prince" is absent in the Aramaic.

Bullinger, again, reads that Jacob is here being reproached as an abject FAILURE in his contention with God. That was hard for me to make sense of. I variously tried to meld God's being the DOER of the mistaken verb portion of ish, man: "God Rules As Man." Or, as Jacob seemingly won, "Man Rules As God."

Correcting myself that the verb portion of Israel is Isra, from srh or srr in the Hebrew, "to struggle or to prevail," or "to stand, filled, gloriously erect," and God, Eil, being the one who DOES the verb portion, I constructed "Eil Prevails," or "Eil, the Prevailer." This is the new name or NATURE given our inner man who had been Jacob -- "The Prevailing Force of God Almighty" -- one who had been validated with the angel and who can strength. In context, God is saying that our humbled inner man in that particular state is God prevailing. Find that mode! We have it in ourselves to strength!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home