The Becoming God

Sunday, October 31, 2021

Scars as Gifts to Remind

I sent the link to Norman Grubb's two and a half page article, "The Authority of the Believer," to Siti, via e-mail. She responded with reference to Exodus 14:15-16, which Grubb used in his article: "And the Lord said to Moses, 'What are you doing kneeling to pray before me? Tell the Israelites to carry on, and raise your staff and thrust your hand against the sea and divide it, and let the Children of Israel enter the sea as if it is dry land'" (Alexander):

Dan

I recall this verse that Norman Grubb used in “The Authority of Believer,” somewhere in either your blog or Neville’s talk*.

The “children of Israel” are our desires and beliefs, “the sea” is the world of “facts” contrary to our beliefs which surrounds us; “divide it” is to put our belief in the sea of contrary facts by faith and create our desired world within it. (Ed. - Isn't this exactly as the unedited version of John 16:23-24? Listen from 4:15, closer at 8:30.)

This was refreshing to see and gave me clarification to focus from within, believing in “the end.”

I met Norman Grubb in 1977 in Temple City, California, at a Lutheran church where he was the Sunday evening guest speaker. I remembered him to be in his late seventies and when he spoke, for me he was difficult to understand. I do not recall what his message was.

At the time in the ‘70’s the “Charismatic Movement” was in full swing. Many were filled with the Spirit and speaking in tongues. The Lutherans and the Methodists were worshipping together along with some Chinese believers, as I recall...in this little church in Temple City.

My parents gave me a pamphlet on the authority of the believer; they were very emphatic about knowing who you are in Christ. Everything “churchianity” began to disappear, to this day.

I can remember when I was alone in the kitchen washing some dishes, and staring out the window and suddenly this overwhelming joy was upon me and in me, and I began to speak words in a flowing manner that I had never heard come out of my mouth. It was beautiful and overwhelmingly strong at the same time. So much so that I broke a drinking glass in my hand that I was washing. The water in sink turned red but I didn’t feel to have a care in the world. As it turned out it was just a minor little cut on the thumb, a scar that to this day reminds of THAT day.

Siti

_____________________________________

Very interesting gifts: scars that remind. Stigmata, branding marks. Saints have scars: "How long, O LORD?" (Revelation 6:10). In Galatians 6:17 Paul reminds us that he had scars all over the place. Jesus, famously on His hands, feet, and in His side.

It was Norman Vincent Peale I heard the other day share an old legend, that Peter finally fled the persecution in Rome. On the road leading away from the city he looked up, and there was Jesus walking toward Rome. As Jesus passed him by, Peter said, "Lord, where are you going?"

"To Rome, to be crucified again." Peter, of course, followed Him.

I am trying like heck to remember where I just heard, "Resist not evil by force." Maybe I will update when I remember.

_________________________

*Siti later noted the blog post where I had expounded on Exodus 14:15-16, and while I had, I am pretty sure I had gotten the idea from Neville or Norman Grubb.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home