The Becoming God

Thursday, June 17, 2021

Exodus 3:14 And The Great I AM: Have The Jews Had It Wrong All This Time?

Granted, you can translate and interpret Exodus 3:14 a number of different ways. My Stone Tanach says that God's Name means "I shall be with them in this sorrow as I shall be with them in other sorrows." That is actually a good thing if you know God, but at the moment the Hebrews were not real happy about it. I have about fifteen to twenty different translations of the Hebrew 'ehyeh 'asher 'ehyeh and the Aramaic Ahiyeh Ashur hiyeh in my posts. Currently, "I am that (your) 'I am,'" "I am what I become," and "I, Imagination, become abundances' becoming," are my favorites. "I AM THAT I AM," i.e., "I AM THE ETERNAL UNCAUSED/SELF-CAUSED)," is not even in the picture for grammatical, linguistic, and logical reasons. Especially because it ignores the transitional qualities of the Hebrew word hayah, to become. Yes, it means to be - is, am, and was - but I think as a stage in transition: "And the earth was (became) without form and void."

But what if Moses got it wrong? All the "to be" meaning in the Name comes from the Hebrew AHYH ('ehyeh), whose root is the common hayah: "to be or to become." Moses was among the Medians (Midians), whose God was YHWH. They had named their land accordingly. Moses heard God say that He was their - the Median's - God YHWH or AHYH or both. And Moses was cool with that. Except Moses may have heard the Hebrew YHWH and not the Median YHWH, for the Medians spoke an early Arabic. And the early Arabic YHWH did not mean "to be or to become," but "to love, to desire, to be impassioned."

So the Jews form around a God who is, an all-powerful provider, and God is among them as a God who LOVES, who is IMPASSIONED, ZEALOUSLY DESIRING the development of Himself among them. There sure is a lot about God's love and His disgust with the Jews adulterous idolatry. They want power, and He wants love. What if the Jews have simply had it wrong all this time, based on Moses' misheard homonym?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home