The Becoming God

Monday, June 14, 2021

Do We Have The Wrong Name (Nature) Of God?

Fifteen or twenty years ago, maybe more, I saw a television program - PBS? - that said Moses might have fled Pharaoh to a Median (Midian) district called Yah. I assumed that Moses there met God, the God of Yah. Over the ensuing decades I have studied much about the Hebrew God Yahweh and His name. You can hardly be a Christian or Jew without MUCH exposure to the fact that the Jewish name for God, YHWH, or He is, comes from God's declaration in Exodus 3:14, "'AHYH 'ASHER 'AHYH," or "I AM THAT I AM." 'AHYH is often written 'ehyeh. These are based on the Hebrew word hayah, "to be" or "to become" (Strong's 1961).

You might have heard a teaching or two on God being The Great I AM: "He is simply because He is - the Uncaused Cause, because nothing caused Him - He simply is." Yeah. I probably have a thousand or more posts about it myself. But as discussed by Professor Israel Knohl in "YHWH: The Original Arabic Meaning of the Name," the Median people Moses was with in the land of Yah spoke Arabic, so the YHWH and AHYH ('ehyeh) in the Bible do NOT derive from the Hebrew root for "to be" or "to become," but from the ARABIC root for "love, desire, or passion." If so, being impassioned with a flaming love is not something God does, something that is adjunct to His being; it is what He is, impassioned. "God is love" is more true than we know! And the I AM or imagination we really are is actually that Love Itself. Have we been calling this God LORD, when we should have been calling Him LOVE?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home