The Becoming God

Sunday, February 06, 2022

Malachi 3:10 Again

I ought to remind everyone that their Bible's Malachi 3:10 is bogus. God nevers asks you to test Him with tithing. His point was that they WERE testing Him by thithing and not appreciating His faithfulness to His word. "'have had mercy on you,' said the Lord. And you say, 'By what have you had mercy on us?'" (Malachi 1:2 Alexander). Throughout Malachi God is rebuking the Jews' demeaning of His Fatherly care and protections. "A son honors his father and a servant his Lord. If I am the Father, how are you honoring me, and if I am the Lord, how are you submitting to me?" (Malachi 1:6 Alexander).

In Malachi 3, the charge was not that they were not bringing their tithes, but by bringing their tithes they were EXPLOITING God, not honoring Him. THAT is what got them the curse:

"From the days of your ancestors* you have strayed from my commandments and you have not heeded them; [therefore,] return to me and I shall return to you," said the Almighty Lord. "And if you ask, 'How shall we return?' Why, does man exploit God as you have exploited me? And if you say, 'How have we exploited you?' In tithing and in first fruits. By curses you are cursed, and to me you are exploiting. All the nation brings its tithes into my stores and there is food in my house, and they test me with this," said the Almighty Lord, "and I open a window for you in heaven and shower you with blessings until you say, 'this is more than enough.' And I shall cry out against the pestilence so as it may not destroy the fruit of the earth, and not one of the earth's vines shall be ruined," said the Almighty Lord. "And all the nations shall glorify you, as you will become the land of my desire," said the Almighty Lord. "Your words [weigh] heavily on me," said the Lord. "And if you say, 'What did we say against you?' You said, 'It is in vain working for the Lord, and what wealth did we gain by guarding his treasures* and walking meekly before the Almighty Lord?'" (Malachi 3:7-14 Alexander).

They BROUGHT their tithes into the storehouse, and God faithfully showed the nations about them that they were the land of His desire, and they said, "This is vain. What did we gain? This god is a stupid idea. Let's go back to our idols." It is not a challenge to bring in the tithes to get a reward or to prove God is there or that you believe in God. It is a warning to do what is right and to HONOR OUR FATHER.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home