The Becoming God

Sunday, June 20, 2021

Vic Alexander: Are You A Fan Of?

I promote Vic Alexander's translations because he has the most unique viewpoint of any translator I am familiar with. In my opinion, if you do not have Alexander's translations from the Aramaic, you do not have anything close to the real Bible. If you have benefited from Vic's translations or his wonderful now-defunct blog, how about saying so to him? A thank you would be appreciated. His present e-mail address is vicalexander37@gmail.com

As I understand it, Vic is a native Aramaic speaker who learned the ancient scribal language and, finding that the West did not actually have an accurate translation of the Aramaic scriptures, set to translating them himself. You can't get more noble than that, save charging less for them. I learned about Aramaic versions of the Bible several years ago and got a few of them. Did not see much difference in the Lamsa version from the KJV, and had trouble with the dense Hebraism of Jahn's version. I get the logic that if the history was lived in Aramaic, anything but Aramaic is a translation. Alexander's translating was a slow-go because it was a solo effort and he had to wrestle to get the meaning of the scripture from the ancient language and to frame it in idiomatic English. So it's got some typos. So what? I am a big kid and can wrestle in my own reading to extract what he is saying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home