The Becoming God

Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Heading For Healing 11: How I Got Right: I Cast Out The Weight

I was in high school from 1963 to 1967. I was a Christian because I went to church with my mother. I sang the songs, wore a suit. It seemed like the thing to do (she did not make me), and I had some social life in the Methodist Youth Fellowship. I did believe whatever God is, God was. But the church never taught me anything spiritual. Maybe God was watching us somehow, but it was irrelevant. I did what I wanted. I did the determining, made the decisions. I can't think of any good ones I made, but my life was mine to live.

Influenced by music, friends, the media, and society, in the 1970's I got into e.s.p., psychic phenomena, the ouija board, the I Ching, Edgar Cayce, and dream analysis. After Transcendental Meditation, I took meditation classes at a metaphysical bookstore. In 1975, in a meditation I encountered a spirit which tried to foist itself off on me as the "ascended master, Jesus." I realized then (after Jesus intervened) that the world is as the Bible says it is. I confessed Jesus as lord and savior at the House of Praise in Kaimuki, but nothing happened to me.

I eventually found myself giving myself to God for the gift of tongues. Again, nothing happened. This time it bugged me: I wasn't accepted by God. Long story short, I realized that I had always done whatever I wanted with my life. I did the determining, made the decisions, but it wasn't "my" life! It is God's. He had animated this body of mud with HIS life and spirit. I belonged to Him! I had never as much as said, "Thank you," nor had I ever asked what He had made me for. He must have had a purpose. Taking HIS life for MY purposes all this time was rebellion. I had robbed God of whatever He had made me for. I couldn't pay God back, but I could stop robbing Him and do whatever He told me to. The big thing was to get the spirit of self-lordship out of my life.

Now, here is the thing: I couldn't have cast that spirit out of myself if I hadn't taken those meditation classes which taught me things the church never could. Or at least never would. I believe God sent me into the course I had taken to engender the spiritual talents I had accrued in it (I am not saying to embrace the occult; I am just saying there was a baby thrown out with the bathwater; that baby was real spiritual experience). When it came to casting that spirit out of myself, it was as a tangible weight to me. In total surrender to God, I cast self-control out of myself to the point I thought I might fall flat on my face as a blob of jelly. And I was cool with that. With no willed effort of my own, I did not fall. I was caught! Surrendered and submitted, the weight gone, I was all ears listening to what God would tell me to do. For the first time in my life, I was in the right relationship with God. THAT was when I heard a small, faint voice say, "Remember this, and it is all right." I rehearsed "it is all right" in my mind's hearing. "All ... right." I WAS ACCEPTED!!

My heart soared to an ecstasy I could not contain, and as the "water" rose up to my throat, it flowed out as an oriental tongue. I couldn't fake that; I could only observe it (my mouth was moving entirely on its own). I do know that I was pouring forth love and adoration and gratitude to God for accepting me, for HEALING MY RELATIONSHIP WITH HIM.

PS: In the mass of confused teachings I read and hear on the Internet is the question, "Is there healing in the Atonement?" My friend, THERE ISN'T ANYTHING ELSE! The Atonement is healing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home