The Becoming God

Wednesday, March 20, 2024

The Most Important Verse in the Bible: Matthew 11:28, "Come Unto Me," Says the Milta

To me, the most important words in the Bible to me are Jesus' beckoning, found in Matthew 11:28: "Come unto Me." For these three words (KJV!) were spoken directly into my brain as an audible voice by Jesus, as I watched Him being crucified for me in my imagination (when it breaks into sound, it is a vision"--Neville). I did not then know how to go to Him, but it was certainly implied that it was possible, for He would not order anyone to do what they could not possibly do.

I have lived my Christian life assuming that invitation, "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest," was an appeal broadly given to anyone who was having a hard time in life or felt taxed trying to be righteous under the Pharisaical version of the Law of Moses.

Recently, considering the invite's context, I happened to read Victor Alexander's version of Matthew 11:12 from the ancient Aramaic. It is more focused than I thought. "From the days of John the Baptist until now* (i.e., henceforth), the Kingdom of Heaven will be gained by austerity, and the disciplined shall win it." Oh. It is the disciplined disciple who labors under austerity to whom Jesus, the Milta, is speaking. Jesus is saying, "Hey, dude, lighten up. It's not that hard. You are to be as an obedient but learning CHILD. Don't be overly severe or serious." Go to Him in your imagination. That is where I was WITH Jesus at that moment. He gives the seeker rest in being there. Give it all the tones of reality.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home