The Becoming God

Monday, November 29, 2021

Steven Wright Theology

Stand up comedian Steven Wright says his girl friend asked him, "If you could know how and when you were going to die, would you want to know?" He said, "No." She said, "Forget about it then."

That is a world better than the Christian Church's infatuation and concern about the "End Times," the end of the world and the coming/return to earth of the risen Jesus Christ. Do a Google search on end times, prophecy, the rapture, Christ's return, etc., and look at the unbelievable results. You would think every church, every sermon, every concern of every Christian was only about the imminent return of Jesus and Armageddon. People MOVE to other states and other countries to improve their chance of survival through the coming Great Tribulation. "Has it already started?" they wonder with every news of something new. Not bad, just new: "It's the mark of the beast!"

Prophecy is BIG BUSINESS. Trying to figure out eschatology is many pastors' industry. IT HAS BEEN FOR MULTIPLE MILLENNIA. I think it is the wrong focus, for what we believe, we create, and what we create becomes manifest. The question of how we are going to die or are to survive - FORGET ABOUT IT!! Keep on living, of course, but do not dwell on the darkness. If you are in a bad place, go somewhere else. "Look on the bright side of life."

Look to the Light. What does the Bible say to DO? Do as He says. Go into all the world and make disciples. Rejoice in YHWH. What you want is what God says to you (Psalm 37:3-5). Pray (imagine God's saying to you as received in confident, loving praise and thanksgiving) without ceasing. "Those things that are true, modest, righteous, pure, merciful, praiseworthy, and those acts of glorification and virtue -- THAT is what you advocate" (Philippians 4:8 Alexander, emphasis mine). Advocate = create by imagining.

Psalm 37, KJV:
3 Trust in the Lord, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed.
4 Delight thyself also in the Lord: and he shall give thee the desire (His saying) of thine heart.
5 Commit thy way unto the Lord; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.

1 O the happiness of those perfect in the way, they are walking in the law (the saying) of Jehovah,
2 O the happiness of those keeping His testimonies, with the whole heart they seek Him.
3 Yea, they have not done iniquity, in His ways (sayings) they have walked.
4 Thou hast commanded us Thy precepts (sayings) to keep diligently,
5 O that my ways were prepared to keep Thy statutes,
6 Then I am not ashamed in my looking unto all Thy commands.
7 I confess Thee with uprightness of heart, in my learning the judgments (sayings) of Thy righteousness.
8 Thy statutes (sayings) I keep, leave me not utterly!
9 With what doth a young man purify his path? To observe -- according to Thy word.
10 With all my heart I have sought Thee, let me not err from Thy commands.
11 In my heart I have hid Thy saying, that I sin not before Thee.
12 Blessed [art] Thou, O Jehovah, teach me Thy statutes.
13 With my lips I have recounted all the judgments of Thy mouth.
14 In the way of Thy testimonies I have joyed, as over all wealth.
15 In Thy precepts I meditate, and I behold attentively Thy paths.
16 In Thy statutes I delight myself, I do not forget Thy word.
17 Confer benefits on Thy servant, I live, and I keep Thy word.

Psalm 119 (KJV, parentheses and bold emphasis mine).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home