The Becoming God

Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Jacob's Slip

This was just kind of fun. In Vic Alexander’s translation of Genesis 27:24, blind Isaac asks disguised Jacob, “Are you my son Esau here?” To which Jacob replies, “I am him.” Third person. Jacob had just said, “Yes, I am my brother.” Of course, the proper thing for Jacob to say would have been, “I am he.” But this is ancient Aramaic grammar, not modern English, and the word choice might be a predilection of Alexander’s sense of syntax, so there is no doctrine to be made here.

What caught my eye, though, was the similarity between Jacob's saying, "I am him," and God's reply to Moses in Exodus 3:14. Moses had been thinking about Jethro, God's Excellence, and Ahiyeh Ashur hiyeh, God's reply, could be translated, "I am him." THAT gives meaning to Abraham, Merciful Father, being the payment God expects from us, which I discussed in my previous post.

Anything to support this view? Well, also in Genesis 27, Isaac says to Esau, “Cook me a stew the way that pleases me . . . because my soul will bless you until I am dead.” Rebecca quoted Isaac to Jacob, “Prepare for me the stew.” She said to Jacob, “Bring me three goat kids that are suitable, and I shall cook them as the stew . . . the way he likes it.” Three is perfection. Kid goats are sacrificial thoughts (otherwise, that is a hell of a lot of stew).

Said blind Isaac to disguised Jacob, "Give me the offering . . . bless my soul.” THIS. IS. PRAYER. Jacob didn’t slip up: the “stew” to be made was Abraham, the nature of YHWH, God’s action among us. Jacob properly said, “I am him (Esau become Abraham),” to Isaac, Laughter Of God’s Faith In Assumption’s Fulfillment. Says God, “I am, because I can!”

Again, this is about prayer. Isaac is an attitude of God within us. Esau is our outer, hairy man, the human form we are inhabiting. Jacob is our inner man, our “ignoranced” (at childbirth we slip into an amnesia, a “death” of memory) spiritual self. In prayer, our inner-man imagination presents what we desire to the subconscious AS THOUGH IT EXISTS. Inwardly, we demonstrate joy in its being, in our HAVING RECEIVED IT. This is disguising our present physical state mentally with the "hairy" physical state we desire; i.e., it is done in the mind. We vividly imagine it. “Yeah, sure, I am him. Feel me. Smell me. See? I am him.” Convinced, our subconscious mind causes what we believe we are to recur in our outer world. So BE what you want to be, O Abraham, because God CAN.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home