The Becoming God

Sunday, September 16, 2018

As The Man Thinketh, So Is He, Revised

I am convinced that none of us really understand Genesis chapter 32. Or the Book of Genesis itself, for that matter. In Genesis, the Ineffable by its Son--Its imagination--creates everything; the desire of consciousness becomes the mother of what lives; man becomes material and spirit but forgets it; and through trials becomes the joy of Merciful God: flesh and the inner man. The Jews believe they are the descendents of the inner man. Go figure.

The inner man on his own track learns righteousness, tending the flocks of Levin (a.k.a. Laban) just as Moses tended the flocks of Jethro. This learned world must reconcile with the flesh world, which I believe is happening in chapter 32. This is why I had to revise "As The Man Thinketh, So Is He." Jacob is alone, and he wrestles through the night with the man whom we have all believed to be the angel, who ultimately is revealed to be the Lord. I no longer believe this to be so, that the man wrestled with was the angel. I believe "the man" was exactly that--the flesh host of the inner man in the imagination of the inner man. Here is Genesis 32:20-30 translated from the Aramaic by Alexander. I'll pick you up on the other side:
____________________

20. And you will tell him, "Behold, your servant Jacob is also behind, because he said that 'his anger will subside on account of the offering of tribute that proceeds before me, and later when I see his face, he may receive me with a friendly face.'"*
21. And so the offering of tribute proceeded before him, as he stayed the night in the camp.
22. And he got up while it was still night, and he fetched his two women and his two maidens and his eleven sons, and he took them across to the passage of Jabbok.
23. And he fetched them all, together with everything he had, and he sent them across secretly.
24. And Jacob remained alone. And the man wrestled with him until the break of dawn.
25. And he noticed that he could not overpower him, so he attempted to extricate himself from Jacob's clutches, but he could not, for Jacob grabbed him by the foot, as he wrestled with him, and he said to him, "Let me go, for dawn has ascended."*
26. And he said, "I will not let you go unless you bless me."
27. And he asked him, "What is your name," and he told him, "Jacob."
28. He said to him, "Your name will not be Jacob anymore, but Israel, because you proved yourself against the angel and against the man, and you were found to be capable."*
29. And Jacob asked, "Tell me your name!"* And he told him, "Why do you ask about my name?" And he blessed him there.
30. And Jacob called the name of that country P'nuel,* "because I have seen the angel face to face and he has spared my life."*
*************
Notes:
*32:20 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "I will see his faces perhaps as he receives by my faces."
*32:25 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "And he saw that his strength was not capable, and he neared his hind quarters, and there switched Jacob's hind quarters as he wrestled him...."
*32:28 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "He told him, your name will not be called again Jacob, except Israel, because you have been validated with the angel and with man and you could strength."
*32:29 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "... and told him, show me your name."
*32:30.1 Lit. Aramaic retained: "Peniel," in English translations. "P'nuel," meaning: "Replies-Eil," "God replies," "Eil turns His face towards...."
*32:30.2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "Delivered my soul," or "allowed me to breath."
_____________________

The inner man is the imagination. Imagination in this case is educated and practiced. "Faces" are manifestations, states. Read the passage by the notes: "I will see his faces perhaps as he receives by my faces." The inner man wants the outer man to manifest what he is imagining! Jacob has a firm grasp of the outer man's foundational basis, its heel, and will not let go. "Bless me!"--be what I want you to be!

So, where is the angel the inner man has prevailed against? Jacob. has. learned. righteousness. The message of the Lord has led him to learn righteousness, and he has prevailed in learning. Now Jacob faces his flesh and manifests his learned righteousness. Found capable, Jacob is 'Israel,' God ruling as man: "Eil turns His face towards...." The outer man conforms to the inner man, and the inner man finds his rest. See Matthew 11: 28-29.

2 Comments:

  • Hi Dan,

    That's the best explanation I heard about Jacob wresling with the angel!
    For me it kind of also explains the word 'Indeed' of the Jabaz prayer(I will not move/accept anything unless you bless me) but I also can't help but think about pandeism and providence. Do I have to be persistant to see providence? Is genesis 32 the only way to see providence? what about the stories of people that out of the blue saw providence?
    Anyway it's a learning path...
    Thanks Dan!
    Wat

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:05 AM  

  • Providence is happening within us and without us, whether we are persistent or not. Difference is whether experience is short and sweet or long and arduous. Short and sweet can be tough, though. They really did crucify, etc..

    By Blogger Daniel C. Branham-Steele, at 11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home