The Becoming God

Monday, September 27, 2021

The God Puzzle: Exodus 3:14 Refers to Whom?

I could not resist the title: Exodus 1-6: The Burning Bush. An interesting discussion runs from 8:21 to 11:40. It is said that 'ehyeh 'asher 'ehyeh (Exodus 3:14) was a pun. That God told a funny: "I Who Causes To Be." Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob had known God as Eil Shaddai, the all-bountiful breasts: the Provider. A nice picture, but it insinuates separation, otherness: I need here; the provider is over there. Faithful, but on call. The name (nature, character) YHWH, "He Who Causes To Be" was known, but not understood.

"What is Your Name?" Moses asks. "I Who Causes To Be." It is a play on He Who Causes To Be. "He" is I. I who causes what to be? YOU AND EVERYTHING IN YOUR EXPERIENCE. Put a comma after the 'I.' "I, Who Causes To Be." We - our 'I's - cause our experience to be.

Saying YHWH is banned. Good. "He" invites idolatry. God is not an outside provider. Eventually, we must discover that He Who Causes To Be...is "I" (it is just that our "I" is He).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home