The Becoming God

Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Exodus 3:14, Impassioned: A God Like The Bible Talks About

As heavily as the Scriptures emphasize the love of God, I am inclined to believe that God's statement in Exodus 3:14 was indeed in the Arabic language of the Midianites. See The Original Arabic Meaning of the Name.

Another interesting article is In the Name of Love: A Passionate Quest for the True Name of The Creator.

"In 1956 a Hebrew and Arabic a scholar Shelomo Dov Goitein (1900-1985) suggested that the Name YHWH is actually a Proto-Arabic word, derived from the root HWY – hawaya, which means 'love, affection, passion, desire.' Goitein also suggests, as a possible connection, that in Exodus 34:14 the phrase 'YHWH whose name is Jealous' is wrongly translated, and that the word קַנָּא qanna (Jealous) is derived from the Arabic term for passion and really means 'The Impassioned One.' 'For you must not worship any other god, because YHWH, whose Name is Impassioned, is an Impassioned God' (Exodus 34:14)."

"Goitein also gives a possible translation of ehyeh asher ehyeh as: 'I shall passionately love whom I love'."

I take issue with this rendering of Exodus 3:14. As I understand the Introduction to Young's Literal Translation of the Bible, the ancient Hebrew did not have a future tense. Because of God's statement in Exodus 3:14, "I AM," the Jews in deference abandoned the present tense for themselves and switched to the future--only God "is." I have heard that a Jew doesn't say, "I am," but "I will be." (Don't hold me to that; I don't speak Hebrew.) Also, Alexander's Aramaic version I believe has the second ehyeh (hiyeh) as third person. I might try to express it as "I passionately love whom I love," or (especially) "I passionately love Love." All this universe and all that goes on within it is to finally arrive at the complete and perfect manifestation of LOVE.

Says Tyler in the second link: "In closing: The Great Commandment instructs us to: 'Shema (hear) Israel: YHVH our God, YHVH is One. And you shalt love אָהַבְתָּ (ahavta) YHVH thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.' Passionately!"

Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home