The Becoming God

Tuesday, July 07, 2015

A Reply About References for Neville Goddard and Bible Study

Hi Dan,

It was great to see your blog. I love Neville Goddard and hang on every word; delicious. I was wondering what version of the Bible (or other reference or concordance) you use? They’ve all been “revised” aka tampered and changed…doing the very thing we’re instructed not to do. But if you have a version that you like, I’d appreciate a recommendation.

Thanks,

Cynthia
______________________________________

Dear Readers,

I am expanding on what I replied to Cynthia. I hope she reads this:

Thank you for reading my effort to understand Neville/Gospel. You are correct, the Bible is heavily edited. But its message is ubiquitous in it--it cannot be edited out. For study and for looking things up I use The Companion Bible by Ethelbert Bullinger. He was the son of one of the great reformers and was an "ultra-dispensationalist," which means he divided God's work into different eras of "housekeeping." He wasn't right in his divisions, but that does not bother me. I am. In the text's companion margin are notes and insights which yield upon study another Bible, much closer to the original. I never get more than a few verses into reading before Bullinger has sent me off onto some marvelously fruitful search through the scriptures and his appendixes.

The Companion Bible is King James Version. I have several study Bibles in several versions. The King James is known to have numerous faults, but I stick with it for personal reasons:

a) It is the Bible God used to speak to me when I was saved.
b) After forty years of study I know many of its faults.
c) It is the version used by everyone I have known to be used in miracles.
d) I think it is the easiest to remember/memorize.
e) It is the version Bullinger used to make what is in my opinion the premier study Bible.

But -- after encountering God in miracles and the baptism in the Holy Spirit, one tends to become an insatiable Bible geek. Those miracles and the baptism in the Holy Spirit experience are my personal version of the Bible. Everything I read or hear taught gets processed through my personal-experience-with-God. That is my navigational star, my anchor for reference and justification.

ALWAYS at hand is Strong's Exhaustive Concordance with the Hebrew and Greek dictionaries. There is a compact, paperback version. THE NAMES IN THE BIBLE MEAN THINGS THAT ARE NOT TRANSLATED. The Hebrew word for 'name' (shem) means the nature of the thing.

I read Victor Alexander's translations (v-a.com/bible). As you will find in Bullinger's notes (appendixes 30-34), the Jews edited the Bible a lot, but largely kept notes of all the changes in the margins of their scrolls. The KJV translators did not take those changes into account when they translated the scrolls' texts into English. Bullinger does. Alexander uses ancient Aramaic versions which apparently predate many of the changes. His translations are a bit expensive--I suggest you read through his website extensively to see whether you want to buy them--but I bought them and have not regretted it. I will warn you, though, that Victor uses some ancient Aramaic terms that defy translation. It can be a little disconcerting to read Allaha for God and Maryah for Lord and YHWH. Bear with him. The Aramaic is an Eastern version and has a very, very different theology to it. The West is dualistic (sees separation), the East is non-dual (no division). Alexander could not translate using Western terms and maintain the Eastern theology, so he transliterated. When the meanings of the terms dawn on you, well, I do not think prostration will feel a ritual thing.
________________________________________


2 Comments:

  • The KJV is a version, not a translation. The Geneva Bible, especially the 1560 edition, is the Premier and truly first complete English Translation of the Textus Recptus. This translation along with its commentaries threatened the insecurity of King James. Queen Elizabeth was fine with it. The Geneva was translated under threat of death by Queen Mary. It came out after her death. The people loved it. Royalty in England made sure it was buried in year 1640. It is now resurrected and I am grateful.

    An ardent studier of truth will be able to find the KJV corruptions of the Geneva Bible. There are plenty and they are significant when learning truth about the world and God's plan for us to go out of her.

    A couple key examples are the words amend/amendment and excommunicate. Compare the two bibles on these points, and ask yourself why was there a necessity to change and systematically bury the true meaning of what God meant. Amend is to correct or repair whereas repent is to be sorrowful. KJV eliminates the need to repair. Why? This is a major issue in going out of Egypt and Babylon or today's Rome. You judge. and welcome to truth.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:46 AM  

  • From https://www.brighthubeducation.com/esl-lesson-plans/2409-helpgeneva-bible-vs-king-james-bible/:

    "Furthermore, the Old Testament from the 1560 and 1599 Geneva Bible was translated directly from the Greek Old Testament and the Hebrew Septuagint scriptures, while the 1611 King James Version of the Bible was compiled from previous English translations of the Old Testament."

    The Greek Old Testament and the "Hebrew" Septuagint were both GREEK LANGUAGE TEXTS. Do you see any Middle Eastern names among the Geneva translators? No. The Geneva is simply a version of the Greek New and Old Testaments by GREEK scholars. Grow up. Stamping your feet and holding your breath for acceptance of either of these two non-bibles is silly. The world of the Bible was ARAMAIC from beginning to end. Yes, amend and amendment are different, but which one, if either, was in the ARAMAIC autograph? You are quibbling for the likes of a flat earth. And no, it isn't flat.

    By Blogger Daniel C. Branham-Steele, at 7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home