The Becoming God

Tuesday, May 07, 2013

An open letter to Vic Alexander (v-a.com/bible), regarding Proverbs ch. 8; 30: 1; and Ecc. 3:11

I have to admit, I am delighted with 
Victor Alexander's choices of books to
translate (Proverbs next), because
recently I have been thinking much on
the "Son" in Proverbs chapter 8. This
Son is the key to all God's works,
God's design and the goal God is
accomplishing through us.

"I was set up from everlasting, from

(before?) the beginning . . . Then I
was by him as a little child, and I was
daily his delight, rejoicing always
before him" (Proverbs 8: 30).

This Son is the determined end of us,

the Son whom, in Ecclesiastes 3:11,
God has "hid" in our hearts. He is our
destiny, and bringing him out clearly
in our consciousness is the work that
God is doing. This "second" Son must
increase, and the first son -- the
life of flesh-consciousness (Cain,
Ishmael, Esau, etc.) -- must cease.

Sorry, hard to resist preaching.

Anyway, Alexander's announcement of
translating Proverbs next now made me 
remember a interesting note about the
Son in Bullinger's Companion Bible. I
found it in his notes on Proverbs 30: 
4: "Who hath ascended up into heaven
or descended? Who hath gathered the
wind in his fists? Who hath bound the
waters in a garment? Who hath estab-
lished all the ends of the earth?
What is his name, and what is his
Son's name, if you canst tell?"

Notes Bullinger: "Who . . . ? Can it
mean that the speaker here is the
speaker of ch. 8? viz. the "son" of
the last clause of this verse?"

I thought I might share with you

my personal translation of Proverbs
30: 1, which uses Chuck Missler's
interpretation of the words Agur,
Jakeh, Ithiel and Ucal

"I, the son of the pious one (i.e.,
Solomon, the son of David), collect
the "words" (dark sayings, wisdom,
and understanding), even the oracle: 
the Mighty Man said, "God is with me.
God arrives with me to be consumed"
(parentheses mine).

I believe the "Mighty Man" mentioned

here is the Son, pattern God has
determined to be our "end", whose 
manifestation speaks to us in the
form of Jesus Christ. The Son spoke
to Solomon, or at least Solomon got
the message about the Son loud and 
clear. Thus Solomon says in Proverbs,
"Surely I am more natural than a
learned man, and have not the
discernment of a commoner. I was 
not taught (this) wisdom, (except) I
have knowledge of the Most Holy."

Of course, eating the Eucharist is

just a sign and a symbol of the real
consuming of God who arrives as the
son. The real consuming of God via
the Son . . . how very interesting
an idea. What is consuming God? No,
I don't know where to go with this,
either, though I think it has to do
with the Life-force -- the Life-
giving, Living Branch that is Jesus
Christ -- and imagination and faith.
 

Proverbs 30:1 does point up the
problem of translating messages,
phrases and concepts as the proper 
names of literal, historical people
when they actually refer to
principles. Agur, Jakeh, Ithiel and
Ucal -- if I may assume that Chuck
Missler is correct -- not a single
one is a person's personal name,
and the very important message of
Solomon's -- this fantastic oracle -
- has been lost to the greater apart
of mankind for nearly thirty
centuries.

On the behalf of mankind, thank you,

Victor Alexander, for the work you
are doing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home