The Becoming God

Wednesday, January 11, 2023

You Are Consciousness, God: A Short Story By Max Samson Retold By Jeff Roth

I will go ahead and include here a little story told by Max Samson to Jeff Roth (2009, Jewish Meditation Practices For Everyday Life, Woodstock, VT: Jewish Lights Publishing, p. 106-107 [I am otherwise sorry I bought the thing--too much talk]):

"Two waves, a big wave and a little wave, were floating in the ocean. The little wave looked up and saw that the big wave was weeping. 'Why are you crying?' he asked his friend.

"'Oh, you are such a small wave that you can't see what I see. I can see over the heads of our brother and sister waves all the way into the shore. All of us are dying as we hit the shore.'

"'Oh,' said the little wave. 'You don't have to cry about that.'

The big wave said, 'If you were able see what I see, you would cry too.'

"'No, not really,' said the little wave. 'If you want, I can teach you something that will allay your fears.'

"'How much will it cost?' asked the big wave.

"'Why, nothing!' said the little wave with genuine surprise in his voice.

"'Oh, I know,' said the big wave. 'You're going to tell me I have to stand on my head for thirty years, or sit with my legs crossed and not move for a week.'

"'Why would you do that?' asked the little wave. 'That would be ridiculous.'

""You mean it won't cost anything and I don't have to do all those strange practices? All right, what's the catch?'

"The little wave thought for a moment and said, 'Well, there is only one small catch. You have to be quiet long enough for me to say six words.'

"'That's all?' asked the big wave. He thought to himself that whatever the little wave told him would be free, and he wouldn't have to do many lifetimes of esoteric practices, so he finally said, 'I can be quiet for that long. Go ahead.'

"The little wave then told the big wave, 'You're not a wave, you're water.'"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home