The Becoming God

Sunday, August 26, 2018

If I Were Going to Pray 1

This is a long discussion on a simple point: If I were going to pray, I would have to believe that there was something to hear my request and which could then make an effect.

Ernest Holmes said in Living the Science of Mind (p.130) that Exodus 3:14's "I AM THAT WHICH I AM," means "I am the Eternal Presence of your own self--there is no mediator between you and Myself but your own thought." That is what prayer is: prayer is our own thought mediating between ourselves and our Eternal Presence, whatever that is, toward whatever we shall become.

The Bible says to make our requests known. A leper came and fell before Jesus saying, "If you are willing, you can make me clean." I believe that Jesus is a euphemism for YHWH, "God," the action of the Presence's nature and principles. Its nature is action. And God said, "I am willing, be cleansed." And the leper was healed.

I was at a Charismatic Clinic at Melodyland Christian Center in the 1970's, and Charles Hunter, the speaker that evening, had everyone individually compare the length of their limbs. I found that my right arm was a good half-inch or so longer than my left arm. No wonder my shirt cuffs always rode higher and bound on my right wrist. I had been tugging at my right sleeves for years. Charles asked those with mismatched limbs to hold them out and to hold still. And then he asked Jesus to make them all the correct length. I watched--watched!!--my left arm grow out that half-inch or so. Hunter just asked, made his request known to that which he believed was listening and could make an effect, and my arm grew out (as did many other arms and legs at the same time).

It was a simple request when I hurt my back in 1980, too. After some wonderful chiropractic treatment by the Gregory brothers in Honolulu, Hawaii, I was at least able to walk. I got to my church and the elders laid their hands on my back. I believe it was Vern who said, "Jesus, let our hands be Your hand." And my back was healed at that instant, just as my arm had grown out in the instant Charles Hunter had made his request known.

On a peaceful night a few years ago I was mentally tripping on the fact that everything is a manifestation of the Ineffable's intelligence. I had been learning about double-slit experiments, wherein power enters as wave light and becomes--!!!--particulate light upon observation. I had already heard that in scientific experiments photons and quantum particles exhibited the ability to learn, that they were intelligent. I suddenly realized that all of myself and all around me was the manifestation of Intelligence itself. Lying down to sleep with my mind thoroughly boggled with this realization, I said to the Intelligence regarding my throbbing neck and left shoulder area, "You can heal me." The pain went away that instant. I mean like you turn a light off. It was just gone.

To pray, we must assume that there is something effective in and/or beyond the electromagnetic ether between everything, else how could prayer work? Our thought request has to go beyond the corporal body as a transmitted wave, a power, or a sound. Even if God is within us to hear us, he has to think and exercise power effectually OVER THERE. There has to be something in the twain: spirit, mind, power, electromagnetic force, consciousness, imagination--God. I do not know what It is, but I know--KNOW!!--that It is. To pray, I must believe that it hears me just as my imagination does, and can and will reward my belief in it.

Even if I were an atheist advocate of the Law of Attraction believing that my own psychic soul vibration is going to attract like vibrations with no external director or coordinator, I would have to believe there is something in the twain conveying the vibrations (and, if I saw deliberateness of action, I'd very seriously reconsider my atheism).

I prefer to think of state assumption, that the intelligence which is my assumed world responds to my perceptions of it--mental states manifesting from my assumptions--and that everything that is "manifestly real" in it . . . isn't, except to itself. What is in the "twain" and in the manifestation itself is nothing but the imagination of an Ineffable being. But that is just me.

So, if I were going to pray, I would have to believe that there is something there that is going to have an effect . . . to my affect.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home